G4 5 Elsie Millicent Sullivan

Elsie Millicent Sullivan was Timothy Sullivan's second grandaughter through her father Samuel Grose Sullivan. She never married and seems to have lived her life in companionship with her mother Hannah Maria Sullivan.

 G4     TS/SGS/ ELSIE MILLICENT SULLIVAN (1890 - 1942)

Elsie Millicent Sullivan, a second daughter to Samuel Grose Sullivan and wife Hannah Maria (nee Phillipps) , was born at Semaphore Rd 06/08/1890 to Samuel, head teacher and informant. (1) Samuel at the time was headmaster of the Le Fevre Public School

HILDAandELSIENewWattleSt

 

 

                    

 

 

 
 
            Hilda Marion Sullivan and younger sister Elsie.                                              Hannah  Maria Sullivan and teenager Elsie at Wattle St 
Photos courtesy of R Sullivan

When Samuel Sullivan was transferred from Le Fevre to Parkside, Elsie attended Parkside Primary School along with her elder siblings.She left Parkside School in 1905 having reached the maximum age of 15, after spending two years each in grades 5 and 6 doubtless at her father's insistence.9) At that time the family would have just moved to the new home in Wattle St.

Elsie did not go on to a private school for "finishing" as did her brothers and older sister Hilda. As her prospects for attracting a suitably upwardly mobile husband seemed to be limites, her adult role became that of a single woman as companion and later carer for her mother Hannah Maria.

EMSEdillilie

Father Samuel Grose Sullivan died on 01/03/1912 and his entire estate passed to his wife Hannah Maria. Prior to his death he had transferred ownership of Wattle St to Hannah Maria

In 1914 younger sister Elsie Millicent now aged 24 joined her brothers Ernest and Jack at the new farm at Edillilie, and mother Hannah Maria then aged 60 followed in 1915, having leased or rented the Wattle St property.

Elsie at Edillilie
Photo courtesy of R Sullivan

 

After the Edillilie venture collapsed Hannah and Elsie moved back to Adelaide, and lived at 17 Ruby St Prospect. The SA Electoral rolls showed them at Ruby St in 1919, and still there in 1926, by when Ruby St had been renamed Willcox St. 17 Ruby St is only a short walk to Flora St (the next street) where son Eric Wilfred Sullivan (Wilf) had settled at number 37 after spending some years at Cowell on Eyre Peninsula where he was the chemist. Wilf's children Margaret and Phillip were both born at Prospect in 1917 and 1922 respectively.

EMSandMRSIn 1925 Wilf and family moved to Magill Rd Maylands into a chemist shop with adjoining house. On 27/08/1926 Hannah purchased 103 Gage St Firle from youngest son John Rundle Sullivan and his wife Clyda, joining the Sullivan community at the Firle orchard.

With the passing of the years Elsie cared for her declining mother at Gage St, but she herself succumbed to cancer and died in 1942 aged 52. Mother Hannah Maria died two years later in 1944.

Elsie is buried in the family plot at St Saviours Church, Glen Osmond.

Elsie and young Margaret Sullivan, ca 1924
Photo courtesy of R Sullivan